Join us and get your 10% discount!
Houdini The Shelter
- Environment and Health
Bluesign Technologies AG
Product Quality Seal
Textile & Materials
Guarantees the absence of harmful chemicals and processes that can damage people and the environment.
- PFC's Free DWR
- Recycled Polyester
Yes, but with quality issues
Nothing but the very essential. Houdini The Shelter is an ultra minimalistic shell jacket built for serious mountaineering and everyday adventures. Light, strong, waterproof, breathable and equipped with just what you need and nothing else.
Freedom grows with reduction. When a garment is designed for one specific activity, it tends to be less useful for everything else. The Shelter is stripped down to the very minimum and therefore extremely flexible. It’s up to you if you would rather take it big mountain skiing, bicycle commuting, kayaking or something else entirely. The Shelter is a wearable multi-tool. Bring it in your backpack and you will be sheltered from any unexpected weather.
The Shelter is made in light, strong and stretchy Loop Hardshell. It’s a 3-layer water- and windproof shell with excellent breathability. The fabric is made from 70% recycled polyester and is completely free from fluorocarbons. To minimize weight and bulk, The Shelter has no zippers. Three buttons adjust the collar width and the hood is helmet compatible and fully adjustable. It has a generous kangaroo pocket with internal cell phone pocket and ventilation mesh.
If you are looking for a strong and super light mountaineering shell that has everything you need but nothing else, The Shelter is a great choice. Thanks to the lack of surplus features it packs down very small and weighs in at only 460g for a men’s medium/women's large. Live light, be free.
The Shelter is unisex. This means you still wear your regular size. The Men's size is shown first, then the Women's Size (S/M equals Men's Small and a Women's Medium). We just didn’t put different labels in the garment since the model is no different for men and women.
The Shelter is fully recyclable and we kindly ask you to return it to us when it’s completely worn out. This way we can use the raw material for new products and nothing goes to waste.
- Relaxed fit
- Unisex sizes, see size guide
- Made to move construction
- Lightweight and durable
- Waterproof and breathable
- Drawcord at bottom hem
- Elastic sleeve ending
- Helmet compatible hood
- 2-way adjustable hood
- Kangaroo pocket with internal pocket
- Adjustable collar with buttons
- Made in recycled and recyclable fibers
- Fluorocarbon free
- Weight 460 g
Fabrics and Technology
Main Fabric: Loop Hardshell™
A durable fabric with mechanical stretch for high comfort. Tough and silent with a dull and smooth face. Waterproof, breathable, ripstop construction with good abrasion resistance.
- Origin: Japan
- 70% recycled polyester, 30% polyester face fabric
- Atmos™, 100% Polyester membrane
- 100% polyester jersey backing fabric
- Weight: 169g/sqm
- Breathability; 20,000 g/m2/24h
- Waterproofness: 20,000 mm H2O or higher
- High density fibers for high durability
- Mechanical 2-way stretch
- DWR finish, Fluorocarbon-Free
- Bluesign® certified
Atmos™ Membrane is a hydrophilic membrane, not micro porous, and at the molecular-level moisture moves through the fabrics. The more moisture that is in circulation the greater the ability of the membrane to move moisture away from your body. With Atmos we are sure we have a membrane that delivers Houdini standards when it comes to high performance in an environmentally sustainable way, which no other membrane at the market can live up to. Atmos™ membrane is made from recyclable polyester.
Shell jackets with membrane
- Air out clothes instead of washing them to save water, energy and to make the garments last longer. Make sure to wash your shell if it has been used in salt water or has gotten very sweaty or dirty as this weakens the performance of the garment. They can reduce the fabric’s breathability and damage the water repellent surface. The dirt can even allow for moisture to leak through the fabric.
- Use a washing bag to protect your garments and to prevent fibers from leaking. When cleaning the bag and filter in the machine, make sure to wipe it clean and throw the lint in your trash can. Never rinse it in water since we don’t want the fibers to end up in lakes or oceans.
- Machine wash cold.
- There are special detergents for shells, but mild, environmentally certified detergents work just as fine. Make sure to use the right dose.
- Avoid fabric softener. Besides being harmful for our environment, they have a negative impact on the garment performance, mainly moisture transportation and breathability.
- Hang dry. Just remember to introduce heat to the garment after washing to reactivate the water resistant surface of the outer fabric. Use a drying cabinet, dryer or iron. Make sure you monitor the heat so the garment does not melt.
- You can reapply or enforce the water repellent treatment with a wash-in or spray when needed. Always use an organic DWR: You can find both a spray and a wash-in in the webshop or in our stores.
- Remember to introduce heat to the garment after washing to reactivate the water resistant surface of the fabric.
The Bluesign® Label means that the production is vetted by a third party to eliminate any harmful chemicals or substances right from the beginning of the production process. This benefits both people, animals and our entire planet.
The Circular label means that this product is made either from recycled and recyclable or renewable and biodegradable fibers. Most products in today's society are made in a linear lifecycle, where earth's resources are extracted, used and then discarded. This is not working in the long run and comes at a great environmental impact. Instead, we want to close the loop and reuse the material we already have. But we need your help. When your Houdini garments are completely worn out, please return them to us through the recycling units we have in all our own stores and at many retailers.
The Recycled label means that this garment contains at least 50% recycled fibers (often more, see product description). The source is either recycled clothes or other sources like PET bottles. We mainly use recycled polyester, which has many benefits. It reduces both CO2 emissions and water use compared to virgin polyester. How much depends on the type of recycling. One of our suppliers show 32% less CO2 emissions and 94% less water use for mechanically recycled polyester. Besides the production impact, the major shift is using "waste" as raw material instead of crude oil.
The Recyclable label means that the raw material in this product can be used for new products, instead of becoming waste. Our goal is that by 2030, we will take no raw material to our products from the earth's crust. Circular products, made from reycled and recyclable materials are a real game changer, but we need your help for the system to work. When your Houdini garments are completely worn out, please return them to us. We have recycle units in all of our own stores and at many retailers.
|Materialien||PFCs Frei DWR, Recyceltes Polyester|
|Labels & Zertifizierungen||Bluesign|